Recently at Mountain Reservations we have become obsessed with a new article from distractify.com entitled 32 Genius Travel Tips That Will Change Your Life Forever. Not only did this article give us some incredible packing tips, but some of the advice was even mind-blowing to employees who have been in the travel industry for over a decade. These “travel hacks” are guaranteed to save you time, energy, and possibly even some money. Below we have highlighted our favorite 10 tips in hopes they will help out our customers one day.
1. Use a private or incognito window when booking flights and hotels online.
Most popular travel sites with usually track your visits and the raise the price simply because you have visited before.
2. Use a binder clip to protect the head of shaving razors.
This will save you money on purchasing new razor heads, and save anything else the razor attaches itself to.
3. A shower cap is an easy way to cover the bottoms of shoes.
Simply put the shoes inside the cap and viola!, no shoe debris on those white pants.
4. To use Google Maps offline, type “OK Maps,” and the visible area will save for future access.
No WiFi or 4G? No problem.
5. When reserving airline seats for two, reserve the aisle and the window seats.
If no one takes the middle seat you will have the full row to yourself, if someone does you can simply ask them to switch so you can sit next to your partner.
6. If you forgot your wall plug, charge your devices through the USB slot in a TV.
Most hotels have TVs with USB chargers, making it helpful for lost wall chargers or too many chargers and not enough wall sockets.
7. Wait to purchase airline tickets until 3 p.m. on Tuesdays.
This is typically when the big Airlines reduce their fares to compete with discount airlines like Southwest and JetBlue. This is an excellent money saver for anyone on a budget.
8. Prevent messy spills in your luggage with plastic wrap.
Unscrew the lids to shampoos and other liquids and place a patch of saran wrap over the top before screwing the lid back on.
9. Be able to use your GPS while traveling abroad.
If you are out of the country without an international plan, turn your phone to airplane mode and turn off your data to use the GPS without connecting to the internet.
10. Skip the wait at the baggage claim with “fragile” stickers.
Place fragile stickers on your luggage, even if it is not, to ensure gentler handling by airport staff. Also, fragile items are often placed on top of the other luggage meaning it is one of the first to come out at baggage claim.
Check out the rest of the 32 travel tips here.
The Mountain Reservations Team
Photo/Tip Credit: distractify.com