When it comes to mountain getaways, Montana is not usually at the top of traveler’s lists when there are places like Breckenridge, Park City, and Vail to visit. That is where you a dead wrong, however, because Big Sky in the great state of Montana is one of North America’s hidden treasures. Not only is Big Sky abundant in wide, open spaces (even more so than the Dixie Chicks song), they are also very famous for hiking and skiing, two of America’s favorite past times. We love Big Sky, but more importantly we want you to love Big Sky too so we’ve compiled a great spotlight of all the things that make this town truly amazing and travel-worthy.
Big Sky Fun Facts:
- The word “ditch” can be used to order a drink and means “with water”. EX: I’d like a Jack Daniels ditch.
- The famous ski film maker Warren Miller lives in Big Sky during the winter season.
- Big Sky borders the Northwestern area of Yellowstone National Park.
- Home to Blue Ribbon trout streams that attract fly-fishers from all over the world.
Best Hiking Trails:
- Ousel Falls: 1.6 miles, easy
- Beehive Basin: 6.3 miles, moderate
- Ulery’s Lake Loop: 3.9 miles, easy-moderate
- Highline Trail: 11.4 miles, moderate
- Grinnell Glacier: 12 miles, moderate
- Granite Peak (Montana’s highpoint): 18.7 miles, difficult
Big Sky Skiing and Snowboarding:
- Big Sky Resort: 5,800 skiable acres, 300 runs, 22 chair lifts, 15% Green-24% Blue-43% Black, 11,166 feet summit
- Moonlight Basin: 1,900 skiable acres, 7 chair lifts, 20% Green-21%Blue-59% Black, 11,166 feet summit
Best Activities in Big Sky:
- Ziplining on Lone Mountain for expansive mountain views.
- Mountain biking during the summer is the best time to see wildflowers, wildlife, and scenery.
- Fly fish in one of the main Blue Ribbon trout rivers.
- White water rafting is always a popular activity through Gallatin Canyon.
- Nordic skiing across Big Sky’s 80 kilometers of groomed trails.
- For great apres ski, head to the Moonlight Lodge.
- Nothing is more romantic than a winter sleigh ride under the starry skies.
Great Restaurants in Big Sky:
- The Cafe at the Inn on the Gallatin
- Gallatin Riverhouse Grill
- Montana Dinner Yurt
- Lone Peak Brewery
- Bugaboo Cafe
- Black Kettle Burritos
- Cinnamon Lodge
- Choppers Grub & Pub
Click here to book your Big Sky getaway today!
The Mountain Reservations Team
Hey, did you like this post? Be sure to like it and then share it with your friends, because everyone needs some mountain love!