The ski town of Whistler-Blackcomb is located two hours from Vancouver, the capital and busy city of British Columbia in Canada. You might have heard of Whistler, however, as it offers more ski and snowboarding terrain than any resort in North America and was home to the 2010 Winter Olympics. Unlike most ski towns, Whistler is also busy during the summer with numerous events and activities, excellent hiking and biking trails, and plenty of shopping opportunities with 200 shops and over 90 restaurants and bars. Another little known fact is that Whistler also boasts four championship golf courses, perfect for those summer golfers who are looking for a change of scenery.
- Whistler was originally called “London Mountain” because of all the fog at is base, but was renamed Whistler after the whistling noises the hoary marmots make on the mountain to warn of predators.
- Whistler was basically undeveloped until the 1960s when they opened in 1966, hoping to win the bid for the ’68 Olympics.
- Known for their Black Bear population, many of these bears have learned to open car doors and hold spring gates open in search of food–but don’t worry, they are relatively harmless unless provoked.
- Whistler was known as a top summer fishing location before it was a winter resort.
- High Note Trail
- Garibaldi Lake
- Wedgemount Lake
- Singing Pass Trail
- Rainbow Trail
Best Scenic Views
- The Top of Harmony chair provides great views of the backcountry and Garibaldi Provincial Park.
- Whistler Peak is the highest point on the mountain and gives you uninterrupted panoramic views.
- Porteau Cove is a beautiful stop on the way to Whistler from the Sea to Sky Highway.
- The top of 7th Heaven on the Blackcomb side give great views of the Symphony bowls.
- Rim Rock Cafe and Oyster Bar
- Red Door Bistro
- Peaked Pies
- Araxi Restaurant + Bar
- Tacos La Cantina
- Pure Bread
- Zog’s Dogs/Beaver Tails
The MountainReservations Team
Did you like this post? Share it with your friends, share it on Facebook, shout it from the rooftops! Or just visit Whistler and have a great time.