If you follow ski news regularly, then you know all about the ongoing trials of the famous Park City Mountain Resort. This past year PCMR was acquired by Vail Resorts, owner of the famed Canyons Resort located just outside Park City. Starting this ski season the two resorts will become linked together under the name Park City Mountain Resort and be interconnected by a gondola, while the canyons side will be know as “Canyons at Park City”.
This summer more than $50 million in capital investments have been taking place at the new giant resort, which is now by the way the largest ski resort in the United States capping off at 7,300 skiable acres. So what do you need to know about these changes? Read below to see how all these changes will affect your ski experience this year–but first, watch an amazing video courtesy of the new Park City Mountain Resort.
The new Quicksilver Gondola will be the main connection between the original PCMR and Canyons at Park City. Taking hints from Park City’s mining culture, the Quicksilver Gondola is a speedy connection of 8,000 feet from the bottom of Silverlode Lift at Park City to the Canyon’s Flat Iron Lift (and back). Riders can also choose to disembark at the midway station on top of Pine Cone Ridge.
Miners Camp Restaurant
Taking the place of the old Snow Hut Lodge will be the Miners Camp Restaurant, featuring a sun-centric design with a large deck and 500 indoor seats facing the expansive windows. This restaurant will serve as an anchor for the new Quicklsilver Gondola mentioned above.
Park City Side Improvements
- King Con lift is being upgraded from a four-person chairlift to a six-person detachable lift.
- Motherlode lift will go from a fixed-grip triple chair to a detachable high-speed quad lift.
- Summit House is being renovated and will have an updated food service area.
- Additional maintenance projects on Park City are being completed with a $5 million investment.
Canyons Side Improvements
- Chichane Trail will be widened to improve access to Tombstone Express and the Quicksilver Gondola.
- Red Pine Lodge is being expanded to increase the dining capacity by about 250 additional indoor seats.
- New snowmaking is being installed on Canyons’ two signature trails on Iron Mountain.
Did we get you so excited you are ready to book your Park City ski vacation now?
Click here to browse all our amazing vacation rentals.
Click here to purchase your 2015/2016 Vail Resorts Epic Pass.
Click here for our on-mountain Destination Experts to help you plan the best vacation for your needs.
Safe Travels (and skiing),
The MountainReservations Team
Did you love this blog so much you wanted to scream from the rooftops and share with everyone you know? Spread the word on Facebook and Twitter–everyone deserves to hear this news!